Sunday, October 31, 2010

NaNo Checklist

There are only 7 hours left until the beginning of NaNoWriMo!  In preparation, I've been getting my writing space ready.  The following preparations have been made today.  And, I must say, I've been slowly getting ready so I did not wait until the last minute.  Yet I still felt rushed.  Regardless:

  • vacuumed carpet in my office
  • finished cleaning my desk area
  • put in 3 new light bulbs so I don't feel like a shut-in
  • made a series of Do Not Disturb signs and door hangers - Genius in Progress, If You're Not in My Novel, Don't Bother!, and a simple Not Now, I'm Writing!
  • bought writing gloves - yes, gloves for writing; my carpal tunnel braces are too awkward so I like to wear compression sleeves to help with swelling and pain from all that typing.  I needed new ones, so this year I am trying actual winter elbow-length fingerless gloves.  We'll see how it works.  When not at the desk, the braces will definitely be on!
  • found a comfy pillow to pad my cheap leather chair - sadly, I had to throw out my awesome orange/multicolored one with words like Create, Dream, Imagine, etc. on it.
  • In lieu of my inspiring pillow, I PhotoShopped a desktop wallpaper (though in hindsight, I won't be seeing it much because I'll be writing). 
  • made a basic playlist for this novel, which I'm sure I'll add to as the month progresses
  • Got my No Plot? No Problem! book and writing kit set out
  • charged up two sets of rechargeable batteries for my mouse
  • learned the basics of Scrivener, though I'm not sure if I want to try it or still use Liquid Story Binder like I do for everything else
  • panicked :)
For, you see, I have no plot.  I know Chris Baty says "No plot? No problem!" but I still need something to go on.  I plan on continuing some (deliberately) loose threads from Providence and know what 2 new characters I am introducing... but that's about it.


Luckily for me, my awesome writing buddy and Beta reader, Mandy, and I are going to work on plots for both our novels - right after we scour the Internet for images of our characters.  This could take a while :)


My funky wallpaper for my desktop.  For my Netbook, it's a word count calendar I found on a NaNo forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment