Wednesday, October 6, 2010

the Bitter and the Sweet

Here's some writing for ya: A poem. A nasty, first drafty, off the cuff poem. And what better place to share it than a blog, right?

Preface: It's been a rough trip down memory lane today, and this is what resulted.


I had the pleasure of knowing you
We chased fireflies and boys
Shared snow cones and secrets
We didn’t always see eye to eye
But I loved calling you my friend

I had the pleasure of loving you
Sharing kisses in the moonlight
And secrets on the phone
Skin on skin, your warmth saved me
Your words soothed me
Your trust broke me
I swore I’d love you forever
Until forever came
But I’ll never forget loving you

I had the pleasure of being yours
I have your eyes, your chin,
Your nose
I hate my nose
But it’s a part of you I’ll always have
Something to carry on, make my own
We didn’t always see eye to eye
Too much silence, too little laughter
I turned when I should have forgiven
Left when I should have run into your arms
But I’ll take the bitter and the sweet,
Memories of joy and pain
Because together they make us
Me and you, father and daughter
And I will always be yours

No comments:

Post a Comment