Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stretching those creative muscles... kind of

My husband is teaching himself the art of graphic design. Recently, he went from making flyers and posters for his wrestling company to actually getting PAID to make a flyer for a tattoo shop. It wasn't a lot, but he got paid to do something he loves to do. I'm so proud of him! I told him he should come up with a name for his graphic design "business," make a logo, and stick that on his work -- especially since the tattoo shop wanted to put his name and phone number on the flyer since they thought it was so good! We spent last night and part of today trying to come up with fun, creative, but professional names.

This got me thinking. I want a cool business name. But I don't have a business. It kind of sucks. Even when (note I said "when," not "if") I become a published author, I still don't get to make a unique name and a logo. It bummed me out. So, being the creative type I am, I decided to just come up with a name for something anyhow. I thought it would be fun, and kind of flex those artistic pipes a bit.

Now, I have been dabbling in web design. It started as a class for school and I am really interested in it. I have moved onto a bigger project, which is still for school but will continue even after the class is over: hubby's wrestling organization's website. That's a pretty big deal, and I don't want to mess it up, so I'm working really hard to do a great job. Anyhow, in my name/logo-jealousy fit, I decided to come up with a name for my soon-to-be successful web design career (haha... I would love to make money designing web sites, but I do have a bit more learning to do!!)

Today, between classes (my nothing-to-do-with-design classes, which are currently depressing me due to lack of wholehearted interest in the subjects), I started googling my ideas. You know, to see if anyone already had web design companies with those names.

My favorite name, which I figured off the bat would be taken, was Tangled Web, or even Untangled Web. I just loved the wordplay. Well, of course, they are both not only very popular names for companies, they happen to be popular names for web design companies. I figured. Still, I was disappointed. But I moved through my other names, even though there were only a few.

Color9 -- from a song I love. I thought it was so original (despite being from a song, but the song is like 10 years old so I really didn't think anyone would have the name). Not only was it a company name, it was a web design company name. Damn.

Creative Type (yes, this was based off an internal dialogue about my thought process leading to coming up with a name) -- taken. By a web design company.

Relative Youth
-- not taken, but reminds me of Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson. Plus, while it is applicable to me and fresh on my mind due to a creative writing assignment, it doesn't say anything about web design.

I love oxymorons, and one of my favs of the moment is Fine Mess. However, that's the name of a Kate Voegele album (which I love!) and a few other things, so of course I couldn't use that. I love the word Chaos. But I can only come up with Orderly Chaos -- and really, do I want to use an -ly adverb, when I try so hard to abolish them from my writing?

That was it. I'm bummed. But, I still want to come up with a name. I don't really need one, though I would love to create websites on the side someday when I'm good enough... but I want one. And I want to make a logo. And I want to stick it on the few websites I am making for school and personal projects. Just for fun. It really does stretch my creativity, and I think it'll be a good exercise.

Now, since my favorite names are taken, what should I use?

....

No comments:

Post a Comment