Thursday, November 6, 2008

What It's Like to Be Me

Here's what it sounds like to be me right now:


Me, to the 6-month-old in the walker who's covered in squash and peas -- Lillie. Lillie. Eat your squash, baby girl. Turn around. Lillie...
Mike (Hubby), to the 13-month-old standing on the back of the walker trying to play with Lillie -- Keegan. Keegan, leave Lillie alone. Let Lillie eat.
Me -- Lillie, don’t grab Keegan's ear.
Mike -- Keegan, that’s the doggie’s bone. Give Chesney back his bone! ... Chesney, get your bone....
Me, to the kitten trying to stick his snout into the jar of baby food -- Charlie, that’s Lillie's.
Me -- Lillie, don't grab the kitty's ear. Be nice. Lillie, eat your squash. Keegan, don’t hit Lillie on the head with the doggie toy.

Mike -- No, Ches, that’s monkey. Get your bone. Keegan has it. Keegan, don’t hit the baby on the head. Give Chesney his bone.

**Keep in mind that all this is pretty much at the same time**
(A few minutes later)


Mike -- Smile Lillie. Where’s that pretty smile? Aww, Keegan’s giving you hugs. Can you smile for the camera? --
Me -- Lillie, eat your peas. Ignore the camera. --
Mike -- Honey, move your arm. She smiled but I missed it cuz your arm was in the way. Lillie. Baby girl. Aww, you gave Keegan kisses. Darn, camera’s too slow. Give him more kisses. --
Me -- Keegan, don’t lay on top of the walker, you’ll get stuck. Charlie, get off Lilile’s head! Lillie, eat your peas!

**This was about an hour out of our day.**


Aaaanyhow....

Writing-wise, I'm sitting at 10,321 words. It's Day 6 of NaNo, which means to be "on track," I should be at 10,002. So, I'm on track! The last couple of days were kind of slumping; I only wrote around 400 words each. Luckily I had gotten ahead on Days 1 and 2 so I never actually got behind.

I'm a little worried, because usually the slumps don't start happening until Week 2, I'm told. But, these weren't writing slumps. They were just life-got-in-the-way slumps. So I think I'll be OK.

Alright. I told myself I'd put up excerpts only after I'd gotten a bit under way. Well, I'm officially 20% toward reaching my goal, and I think reaching the 10K mark is a good enough time to post a short excerpt. So, without further ado.... here is the first look at my fantasy vaampyr novel. I apologize for the formatting issue, but I can't seem to make any indents and the block quote feature makes the lines all wiggy. So, you'll just have to make do if you want to read ---


I stare at the woman on the ground, her red hair cascading around her pasty face like a fan. Her eyes are closed, but I know from memory what color they are -- clear, like running water. Except last night, when I found her at the mercy of the younglings, they were a misty gray color, almost like my grandfather’s.

A ripple of hunger washes over me and I growl at her still body. The Purest. What a joke. She fell so easily, and didn’t put up a fight. I run my hands over the cold skin of her shoulder, pausing just before her sheer sleeve began to cover her arm. Her skin feels different when I touch it with my human skin instead of my wolf skin.

The hunger is pain now, and a moan escapes my lips. Though it’s daytime and I'm in human form, my fangs bare as I snarl at my enemy. Hunched over her like I am, I feel like an animal. I am an animal. I touch the bare skin below her neck, running my fingers through a valley of cleavage and over the hardened material of her corset. The laces tickle my fingertips as I make my way to her stomach, palming it in wonder.

They say she will bear children. She’ll be the first of her kind to reproduce the human way; the vaampyr race will continue until the end of time. She has none of the human sicknesses that have plagued her kind for centuries as the Vaampyr essence mixed with the primitive humans’ -- she is pure.

I laugh, letting the sound reverborate in my chest for a moment before it escapes. "That’ll never happen." I stand, one foot on each side of her, and stare at my psosession. My destiny is fulfilled -- I have found her.

That's all I have for today. I have no real words of wisdom about writing or any profound lessons to teach you. Other than the fact that writing without editing as I go is really working, and I recommend any writer to try it. Whether you can quit cold turkey or you have to ease yourself out of the line editing by only letting yourself edit after you finish xx word count... or whatever... I'm finding that my inhibitions are really let down and I actually LIKE my work. So, give it a try!
For my non-writer readers... maybe I'll have more non-writing related news tomorrow. Later and thanks for reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment